Thursday, February 17, 2011

Diary of Alannah Moore

                                                                                                                                              August 9, 1847
Today I saw my dad cry. I had never seen him like that; I had seen my mom but never him. I think it is because we did not get to eat. The potatoes keep growing rotten and since it there are not many left only the rich landlords get to have them. Our living conditions are horrible. My dad, mom, little sister and I sleep on the ground in a single room cabin with our pigs and chickens. It smells horribly bad and we have no windows or chimney, so imagine that. My dad works for a farmer and does not get paid much so that is the only thing he can afford. I only wish we could get out of here!

                                                                                                                                                                                  August 12, 1847
In the neighborhood I heard some women talking about going someplace called the Americas. They said it was the land of opportunity and that everyone was moving there. I was surprised when I heard them and my hopes came up. I could imagine my family and me living in a house with a garden and a room with a bed to sleep in and no pigs or chickens around and without the bad smell…but that was not possible. We had no money to go. However, when I got home I got a big surprise; my mom and dad told Bridget and me that we were moving to the US. Our landlord promised my dad he would pay for our tickets and give us money, food and clothing for the trip. I felt excited but at the same time very scared. Excited because I can’t wait to get out of Ireland, but scared because I don’t know what to expect. I only hope it is much better than where we live now.


                                                                                                                                                                                October 14, 1847
Today we finally arrived at the Saint Lawrence River. It has been two terrible months since we left home and the trip seemed as if it were never going to end. The ship is extremely overcrowded and many people here are sick. My mom has been very careful with Bridget and me; she doesn’t want us to catch any disease. She does not let us talk much with other passengers or share our stuff.  I’ve heard that the ships were being inspected and people who were sick were being quarantined in an island called Grosse Isle, in which the hospitals were in even worst conditions and had become places to die. They did not have sufficient staff or beds to treat every patient. Many people have also died here and I’ve heard others talking about how they saw the bodies being thrown overboard, but thank God I have not seen it. My dad does not want us to experience something like that and therefore doesn’t let us go explore around alone. I just hope this ends soon and we can get out of this terrifying ship.


                                                          
                                                                                                                                                                            November 17, 1847
We have been in the US now for about one month and my dad still has not found the agent our landlord had said would wait for us with money for a fresh start. I think those were plain lies and that he just sent us here to get rid of us. My dad found a job building a railroad and he does not get paid much but it is the only job available. He is not allowed for any other job and a sign that says “No Irish Need Apply” is commonly seen in job advertisements. My mom takes care of my sister and me at home. We live in a small house but it is definitely better than the one in which we lived before. Still life is not perfect. We suffer a lot of discrimination especially my dad in his work. The other American workers feel superior to him and anything they don’t want to do they order him or other Irish like us to do it. If they don’t follow their rules they get beaten brutally with the same shovels they work with. My dad did once. He came home with his nose broken and several bruises in his body. We all cried when we saw him that way, but he told us not to worry and that it wouldn’t happen again. However, every time he leaves home to work I get very nervous and scared for his life. I admire and love him deeply because thanks to him and his sacrifices we have a better life!
              

No comments:

Post a Comment